Monday, April 13, 2009

Life is Finite

Sometimes I get deep. Sometimes the depth amazes those who know me the best. This is one of those moments. I had mentioned that the humor in my posts would someday return. Today is not that day. It seems that God has caused me to reflect on my life over the past few weeks and come to some realizations that I possibly have ignored over time. The last couple of days, I have had an epiphany of sorts.

Life is finite.

The sooner one comes to this realization, the easier it is to deal with how you live your life. As I have stated in the past, I am not afraid of my future, as the control was passed on to someone else. I thought I would hate to have given that control away. In some ways, I am reluctant to do so. Growing up I thought I would live forever, without consequences for the choices I made. In the same breath, I don't regret anything I have done. It is all part of a master plan. I am simply along for the ride.

Life endures for a limited time only.

We have a period of time we are granted. How you take advantage of that time is entirely up to the individual. I can only hope that my time is not now. If the doctor tells me something that changes the OUTCOME, it will not change my OUTLOOK. I pray. I think of everything I could have possibly done to make my health a non-issue, and I realize that everything we do impacts tomorrow. Right now, right here, I can only make choices with consequences I can deal with. Life is a gift, not a right. Just like having a driver's license, I suppose. A poor analogy, maybe, but relevant, regardless.

We all want the best. Sometimes we want the best of everything. I am not sure I have ever been the type to want the best for myself, rather, I want the best for those I love. A better life, better opportunities, and a better outcome to whatever they choose to do. I have learned that being happy with what I have and not upset for the things I DON'T have is a great way to look at things. I have a house in Idaho I may lose. I don't care, or I don't care as much as I should simply because the people that were in it with me are with me now. I don't lose them if the house were to go away. I have them close by. That is important. It was then, and it always will be. Love your family. Even if some of that family is living on the edge. In the end, family is all we have left.

Life is measurable.

How would you measure your life to date? Are you satisfied? What do you regret if anything? Regardless of life's finite characteristics, it is still measurable. It is more than the glass being half full or half empty. It is about something being in the glass. Period. Will the contents of the glass be enough of a memory? My heart is my glass, my 'cup' if you will. I can say with complete comfort that my 'cup' runeth over. Love and support is everything. It is not the amount of money you have, the possessions you have (which will ultimately own you), the things which you wish to covet; it is about the here and now. It is the things you look forward to in the morning that most can take for granted. It is the air you breathe. It is the vehicle that makes you want to go forward every day. It is the bonds of family and friend that cannot break and will not bend. Those are the ties that hold you up when you no longer have the strength to go it alone.

It is your life. You have one to live. Live it well.

No comments:

About Me

Followers

Search This Blog